Friday, August 16, 2013

Cowgirl Tough


After attending a recent Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Convention (yes… I’m serious. We actually went to a two day convention), I decided that it was time to dust off my Cricut machine, catalog our embellishments and reorganize the craft room.
What I found while doing this was a project that I started in 2011 that I never completed. It goes back to a visit to Texas were Kensington and her cousin Roni went horseback riding at the BlackHawk River Ranch – where Roni worked as a ranch-hand. The issue that I ran across is that I have no clue as to the look I was going for. I couldn’t find my original sketch or an image of an existing layout that I saw that I was trying to replicate. After staring at it for more than thirty minutes I decided that I hated it. I started tearing the pictures off the page when Chris came in and asked me what I thought I was doing.
 
He tried to convince me to go back to the page and rework it, knowing that there is no wrong way to create a page.  Once he realized there was no turning back, he steered me in the direction of doing a shoestring project, using the inking and chalking techniques that I learned in one of my breakout sessions, as well as multiple layering techniques.
This is what I came up with. Notice the horseshoe I used for the letter "u". This was taken off the Christmas tree in the hotel that we stayed at the day that Kensi was born. I knew I wanted to keep it but didn't know how to display/preserve it. I think this is the perfect home for it. 
 
Now I only have 2 more layouts to compete for 2011, three for 2012, and then I can get started on her 2013 book. Onward and upward!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. We’re Julián and Agus, a married gay couple. We have a son together, Martin, and we’ve created Weerlly (www.weerlly.com) in order to provide homoparental families with products to be identified with. We were very sad when we could’nt find then for our son, so we decided to make them ourselves! We wish you like them! We are on www.weerlly.com and on facebook (www.facebook.com/weerlly). Kisses and love, love, love!