Sunday, December 23, 2012

Darn you Carly Rae Jepsen!

When Kensi gets a song in her head, it can stay in there for days, or in this scenario weeks. Two weeks ago on our walk back from school, we were playing “line leader”, which is just like it sounds – the leader of the line. It gets her to stay ahead of me instead of dragging behind me or riding my shoulders. The only drawback in this game is the 300 yards from her school to our place, there are a couple turns that if she is pretending to be Jackie Joyner-Kersee, she’s out of my eyesight for a brief period of time. This is when the game ‘red light – green light’ comes into play. So on this particular day, she was round the corner and not wanting her to get to far ahead of me, I yelled, “Red Light!”


She turned and with a scowling look on her face, pointed her finger at me and shouted for everyone to hear, “Hey, I just met you (something a father doesn’t like to hear. I'm glad no one took this as a possible Amber Alert) and this is crazy… [so] here's my number, call me maybe.”

Then with a flip of her hair, she took off like a bolt of lightning. I stood there stunned. Shocked at what she said, and then trying to name that tune and complete the lyrics, I swung my backpack over my shoulder and went after her. So does anyone want to take a guess at what she decided to scream as I chased her? Yep, you got it, “And all the other boys, Try to chase me, here's my number, So call me, maybe” My first thought was to find out where Katy Perry is performing next so I could strangle her. Then I realized I’m old and out of touch with these teenie bopper songstresses and should really look up who sings the song. Now I despise Miss Carly Rae Jepsen!

For the past two weeks, she walks around the house, and every other phrase out of her mouth is, “Hey, I just met you.” And now, because of her Auntie Cathy and Uncle Kyle giving her a guitar for her birthday, she feels like she needs an audience every 5 minutes in order for her to strum a few strings and sing a few cords.

Yes, it looks like guitar lessons are in the very near future.

No comments: