Kensington and I arrived in Dallas late Sunday night and headed straight to Hospice, where Mazha was admitted on Saturday morning. A lot has happened over the past couple of weeks. On Monday, January 25th, Mazha went into the hospital due to breathing problems, as well as problems eating. They told her that her only option was to go home, call 9-1-1, and come in through the emergency room. Otherwise, it would be hours before they would be able to help her. They brought her home and did that, even though transporting her in the vehicle caused so much pain. After being admitted, they ran numerous tests and early on Tuesday, they preformed a tracheotomy and inserted a feeding tube in her. She stayed in the hospital through the weekend and was breathing fine on the trach/vent and was taking the liquid food quite well via the feeding tube. We called the local Muscular Dystrophy Association and were able to secure a hospital bed, feeding tube pump, IV, and vent with bipap as well as several ‘meals’ that she could take through the tube. Once she got home, she started regaining her energy and finally started to fight the disease. When we’d call, I could hear her talking past the trach and she even talked about wanting to make a trip up north during the summer to see us. She had this type of strength for a couple days and then started having breathing problems on Thursday. They brought her back to the hospital, where they were told they could do no more for her. On Friday night, Dad and Simone got her admitted into Hospice as she's needing 24 hour care and it's something that they can't do on their own, and a home health aid is not going to be able to assist because she's on a breathing machine. In order for her to be able to be admitted, she needed to sign a DNR order… something that she said from the very beginning that she wouldn’t do. Once she fully understood that Hospice would be able to manage her pain, allow us to stay with her 24/7, and provide the care that only a doctor would be able to give her and that the DNR was only stating that if her heart stopped, they wouldn’t resuscitate her, did she decided to sign it.
Kensi and I decided to head down there now (originally, we were coming down at the end of the month to visit) for the next couple of weeks - to either be with her to help her get better or to make the final arrangements needed. Before we left, which was delayed because of the potential winter storm the east coast was going to get, I spoke to the nurse at Hospice just to get an update. They stopped feeding her since she arrived because she was vomiting, which was occurring the last two days she was at home. They had sedated her through the night and were waiting for her to wake up. The plan was to start feeing her again on Sunday and it will go two ways: 1) she take to the food and regain her strength and she will be back to the way she was prior to being admitted, or 2) she won't take to the food and this will be the end.
When we arrived Mazha’s room was filled with the Hospice staff, along with Simone, dad, Auntie Paulette, Jordan and her fiancé Chase. Mazha was up and semi-alert because of the medication that where injecting through the tube. I had braced myself for the trach, but didn’t realize the number of tubes that she would have coming out of her. She smiled the moment she heard Kensington. Looking around the room, you could see numerous pictures of Kensi taped to the walls so no matter which way she was looking, she could always see her. She took a moment to touch with Kensi’s feet and gruelingly wave towards her a couple times.